Goeztcraft Printers | Offset and Digital Printing | 734-973-7604
history
Proudly Delivering
Quality Printing
Services to the
Community
for Over
100 Years
To learn more about how we can help with your printing needs, we invite you to call or email us. We are here to help.

Goetzcraft Printers
Phone: 734-973-7604
Fax: 734-973-2421
info@goetzcraft.com

 

Goetzcraft Printers:
Five Generations of Printing Craftsmanship

Goeztcraft Printers Building circa 1933

1900

Adam Goetz was twelve years old in 1877 when his family left Wuttemburg, Germany and settled in Ann Arbor, Michigan. As a young man, Adam went to work for "The Register", a newspaper and job shop, where he served his apprenticeship to become a printer. In April of 1900 he co-founded "The Athens Press", so named because the business was located on the second floor of "The Athens Theatre Building". By 1902 Adam had bought out the other partners, and was on his way. He had one employee, Pauline Schmidt, pictured with him in the photo at the right, taken in 1904.

Goeztcraft Printers Building circa 1933

1906

The workload at the Athens press had grown so quickly in the first 6 years that Adam decided to move the business into larger quarters on the ground level at 208 N. Main Street . By this time he had also added three employees. The building, pictured at left, was the first door north of Ann Street,and shared the block with the Ann Arbor Post Office. Neither building remains today.


Goeztcraft Printers Building circa 1933

1933

The next move, to 308 N. Main Street, was a big step for Adam Goetz. It was the third home for the growing Athens Press, and the first building actually constructed by Adam to house the printing company and its six full-time employees. One of those employees was Adam's son, Herbert A. Goetz, who became the sole owner in 1943. The name "Goetzcraft" first appeared in 1944.

Goeztcraft Printers Building circa 1933

1949

Herbert, following the precedent set by his father, constructed a new facility across the street at 307 N. Main Street in 1949, and officially changed the name to "Goetzcraft Printers". Growth forced Herbert to expand his building in 1956 into an alley adjacent to the north side of the building. Herbert's son, H. John Goetz, grew up in the business working for his father, as had his father before him, and became owner in 1962 upon Herbert's retirement. The building was expanded a second time in 1966.

Goeztcraft Printers Building 20081979

John, with his son, J. Larry Goetz, built the present facility in Ann Arbor's Industrial Park at 975 Phoenix Drive. This 12,000 square foot building houses printing and imaging equipment far beyond the most futuristic dreams of Adam Goetz. Upon John's retirement in 1994, Larry succeeded him as owner. Larry's sons, Britton and Bryan, now represent the fifth generation of the Goetz family to be directly involved in the tradition of graphics excellence known as GOETZCRAFT PRINTERS.

 

signatures

THE EVOLUTION
OF A LOGO

Goetzcraft Printing Services - Logos from 1900 to today